If the Google Drive program is installed on your computer you may be receiving a notice like the one below:
Google is switching to a new version of the program called Drive File Stream. Drive File Stream is an improved way to use your Google Drive files on your computer without having to open Drive in your browser.
Steps to install Google Drive File Stream
NOTE: Prior to uninstalling, make sure all files are synced with Google Drive.
1. Uninstall the previous of version of Google Drive
- Close the Google Drive application by right-clicking on the Drive icon in the task bar and clicking exit.
- Open the Control Panel and open the Programs and Features window.
- Click on Google Drive and click Remove
- Close the Google Drive application by right-clicking on the Drive icon in the top bar and clicking exit.
- Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.
- Drag the Google Drive app to the trash.
- Empty the trash.
2. Install Google Drive Filestream
- Navigate to your Google Drive in your browser
- Click on the settings icon on the top right of the window
- Click Download Drive Filestream
- Follow the install instructions
After installing Drive Filestream, a new external drive will appear on your computer. At this point, you can remove the old Google Drive folder from your documents folder.