All SNC email lists are hosted in Google Groups. The membership of many of our lists is automatically maintained (i.e. student list). However, many departments and student organizations have manually maintained email lists, allowing the owners of a group to manage not only the list membership but most of the configuration settings of the group. This article points out several features that we feel are helpful for most of our email lists.
A Google Group is simply an email list; we may use these terms ("list" and "group") interchangeably. Google allows list owners to maintain most of the settings and configuration for the lists. These are some features that you may find helpful.
- Visit groups.google.com and navigate to your group's home page.
(For assistance, see "How To Access An Email List Home Page")
To see a list of all the lists you're on, click on "My groups".
- Click the "Manage" link over on the right.
If you don't see the "Manage" link, then you are not an owner of the group.
Google has a number of great articles available that explain how to manage your group:
See The List Members
On the group home page, click the "Members" link over on the right near the top.
Add/Remove List Members
NOTE: Before making any changes in this area, please know that the membership of many of our email lists is automatically maintained. You should not make any changes to the membership of those lists yourself. If you're not sure about this, please call us.
There are two methods available to add members. You can invite them, which causes them to receive an email where they can click a link to accept the invitation, or you can directly add members to the group. This article from Google explains both:
When you direct add members, we strongly encourage you to use the feature to send an email to each new member advising them that they're being added to your list. Google allows you to bypass this feature when adding SNC email addresses.
To remove members, click "All members" on the left, then use the checkboxes next to the names along with the "Actions" button at the top.
Change Member Roles
In every email list, some members are designated as owners. Owners have access to do things like maintain the list membership, send email to the list, etc. If the leadership of your group has changed, and you need to make a member an owner or you need to remove the owner role from a member, follow these steps:
- Start from the email list home page.
- Click "manage members" link over on the right toward the top
- Click the checkbox next to the member(s) whose role you want to change. If your list has many members, you may need to use the search function at the top to find them.
- Click the "Actions" button at the top and select either "Add to role" or "Remove from role" depending on what you want to do.
NOTE: All student organization email lists should have their adviser as an owner. So if the past student leaders are no longer at the college, the adviser can make these changes.
These are some quick features we think you may find helpful. For more details, see the Google Group help articles in the links above.
Change where list replies go:
- Settings > Email options > Post replies
Change subject line prefix text
- Settings > Email options > Subject prefix
Allow external (non SNC) members in the group
- Permissions > Basic Permissions > Allow members external to this organization
Change who can post to the group
- Permissions > Basic permissions > Post