Mitel Connect is a program for Windows and MacOS that allows college employees to control certain aspects of your office telephone. It's important to understand that the majority of college employees will not have any use for this program. It is meant for people who have specific, more advanced needs to manage telephone calls.
Before proceeding, be aware that your computer must be on the SNC network, either physically on campus or by VPN.
To Install Mitel Connect
- Visit shoretel.snc.edu.
- Click the blue button to download the appropriate install file.
- Run the installer that you just downloaded, then launch the program.
- When prompted to sign in, use your six-letter login ID.
- Additional prompts (you may have to click "Show advanced" to see these):
- Use Windows Credentials: (leave this unchecked)
- Domain: (leave this blank)
- Server: shoretel.snc.edu
- Remember me: (check this box)
Here's a screenshot of what this looks like:
Using Mitel Connect's availability routing, you can set certain general features on all incoming calls. For example, you can:
- have all incoming calls automatically ring to another number (i.e. cell phone)
- have all incoming calls automatically go to voice mail (no ring)
- define what happens when a caller presses "0" while listening to your outgoing message
Using Mitel Connect's power routing, you can set certain features on incoming calls from specific numbers. For example, you can:
- set a specific ring tone to use when you receive a call from a certain telephone number
- set calls from specific numbers to always go to voice mail or to forward to another number
- forward all calls to another number during certain times of day
To set the functionality of the above mentioned availability routing or power routing:
- Click the down arrow (next to "Connect" in the upper left corner) and select "Settings"
- Click "Call Routing" on the left.
- Click the "Availability Routing" or "Power Routing" tab across the top.
- Follow the prompts in that area to setup your preferred functionality.
Here's an example of a power rule that makes your phone use a specific ringtone when your spouse calls you:
More details are available on page 79 of in the Mitel Connect Client User Guide.
If you'd like to simply block a specific incoming number (or all calls based on a specific pattern), start with the above example. Then, when setting the "forward call to" option, forward the calls to ext. 3650.
Technically, this isn't blocking the incoming call; it's forwarding it to a special phone extension that we've setup that will never be used and never be answered.
If you'd like to have all incoming calls simultaneously ring to your cell phone, while on the "Availability Routing" tab, click the "Change" button next to the option that says "No other phones will simultaneously ring" (this text will be different if you've already set this up). Follow the prompts on the next screen to enter your cell phone number, then click "Save".
More details are available on page 76 of in the Mitel Connect Client User Guide.
Most desk phones are usually in the "Available" state. By using the buttons on the phone (or via the Mitel Connect app) you can easily change your phone to other states like "In A Meeting", "Vacation", etc.
For each of these states, Mitel Connect allows you to set many options that determine how incoming calls are routed. You can also determine what happens to incoming calls when you don't answer the phone. These settings are accessed by clicking on "Call Routing" in the settings area.
Here's an example of how to control voicemail:
In the "Call Routing" settings, you'll see an option that says, "Callers are allowed to leave a voicemail". Click the corresponding "Change" button to change this setting. This effectively changes your phone to an announcement-only mode.
You can modify other settings like how many times your phone will ring before it goes to voicemail.
More details are available in the Availability Routing section of the Mitel Connect Client User Guide.
The Mitel Connect Client User Guide is a great resource to learn how to use all of the features of Mitel Connect.