Hangouts Chat, a G Suite app, is a simple-to-use chat platform, allowing you to quickly exchange messages (and photos) with individuals or groups of individuals. Since it's part of G Suite, we login using our SNC email address, allowing us to converse with anyone at SNC (students, staff, faculty, etc).
While this type of communication is very similar to traditional text messaging, there are several key advantages to using Chat over traditional text messaging:
- With Chat, you can exchange messages with anyone who has an SNC email address; you don't need to know their cell phone number as you do with text messaging.
- With Chat you can exchange messages not only using your phone, but also on your laptop or desktop computer, your iPad, etc.
- When exchanging messages on your phone, you can do it over WiFi, something that doesn't work with traditional text messaging. So if you're in a campus building, hallway, stairwell where there isn't much of a cell signal, you can still communicate.
Here are several practical examples of usage:
- share a photo with everyone in your department
- communicate quickly with co-workers (including students and staff) when email is overkill
- organize a group of classmates or coworkers to work on a project together
To sign into Hangouts Chat, visit: chat.google.com
Mobile apps for Android and iOS as well as native apps for Windows and MacOS are also available. More details are available in these Google articles:
You can choose whether you receive notifications, and if so, how:
Communicating with a group is a very effective way to get a message out to many people at once. Hangouts Chat calls groups "rooms". Consider creating a room for your department or for your student organization.
Note that while the official name is "Hangouts Chat", it is often called simply "Chat". Google also has a similar product called "Hangouts" which is being discontinued.