Our TV service for students is delivered via SpectrumU, a video streaming service (similar to Netflix and Hulu) that delivers a wide variety of live TV, entertainment, news and sports programming. You can watch using an app on your mobile device or via a web browser on your laptop. Whereas other streaming services are not free, SpectrumU is free for all St. Norbert College students.
Your device must be connected to the SNC network either on a wired connection or on the "snc" WiFi network. If your device is not on the SNC network, it will not be able to access SpectrumU. No login is required; just launch the app and it will run. Visit snc.edu/network to see if your device is on the campus network.
Watch on your laptop
You can also watch SpectrumU by visiting: watch.spectrum.net
Watch on your device
The Spectrum app is available for download on the following platforms:
- Android - SpectrumU
- Apple TV - SpectrumU
- iOS - SpectrumU
- Roku - Spectrum TV
On three of the above platforms, install the SpectrumU app (with the blue "U" icon). On Roku, the app is called "Spectrum TV", not SpectrumU. When you launch the app, it will detect that you're on our network and automatically switch you to the SpectrumU service.
Note also that while SpectrumU is supported on Chromecast, this device will not work on our network due to the method it uses to communicate with your smartphone.
Watch on your traditional TV
To watch SpectrumU on a traditional TV, you'll need to get the app on a supported device (i.e. laptop, Apple TV, Roku) and connect via HDMI. This will also work great on a smart TV with Roku built-in.
The channel line up is available here:
DVR capabilities are not available in this service.
- SpectrumU will only work while your device is connected to the college network ("snc" wifi or wired).
- If the app prompts you to enter ANYTHING, that means you're not connected to the "snc" wifi network. When connected properly, the app will not prompt for any information. Note that many colleges using the same service have different authentication methods (i.e. student must login). We do not do that. The only requirement is that your device is on our network.
- Visit snc.edu/network to see if your device is on the campus network.
These are some key features that students may find helpful:
- Multiple roommates in the same room can watch different TV channels using their own device. Just plug a headset into your laptop or phone and you're all set.
- Students can watch SpectrumU inside any building on campus while connected to "snc" WiFi.
- SpectrumU has 100+ channels, plus an additional 30+ channels in their on sports package, included.
- SpectrumU includes access to on-demand TV shows and movies available anywhere, anytime.
If you need assistance setting up SpectrumU, please contact the ITS Service Desk. Like any other streaming service, we'll give you a hand at getting it setup and making sure your device is working properly on our network. If you need additional help from Spectrum, they offer some support resources on their web site. As you use their information, keep in mind that ours is not a traditional home service, so some functions may not work exactly as documented:
Spectrum also offers the following document which is mostly technical info for administrators, but it includes some helpful info for users, like a list of specific devices/browsers that are supported:
Cable TV for Campus Offices
SpectrumU is a service for individual student use only. TV service for offices, lobbies, residence hall lounges, and administrative areas on campus still use traditional cable TV.