The first thing to note is that students do need to be signed in to their SNC Zoom account when they join the class sessions for the pre-assigned breakout rooms feature to work (otherwise Zoom has no way of knowing who is who). If participants have issues with signing in as authorized participants, refer them to this article, Zoom Desktop App Sign in.
If you are creating the Zoom link in Moodle, use this activity set up. Be sure to select Only authenticated users as shown. For more information view How to create an event through Moodle.
It should look like this to show only authenticated users.
For both Moodle created links, and non-Moodle created meetings, you can set up your pre-assigned break-out rooms following these steps:
- Sign in at snc.edu/zoom
- Click on the Meeting that you want to set up your breakout-rooms in
- Click Edit this meeting at the bottom of the page
- In the Meeting Options section, select Breakout Room pre-assign and click Create Rooms.
- Click the plus icon beside Rooms to add breakout rooms
- In the Add participants text box, search for participants' name or email address to add them to the breakout room.
- Click Save.
- Click Save again to save the changes to your meeting.
If you are creating this meeting outside of a Moodle course and want to create preassigned breakout rooms, it is still possible to do this. Once you’ve followed the steps listed above, and before you click Save you can click the Only authenticated users can join checkbox. This will make it so that you are unable to join the meeting without first signing in. This can be problematic though as participants would need to be authenticated users with a Zoom account through SNC.
To learn more, view, Assigning Breakout Rooms in Zoom
Once participants have joined the Zoom link with authenticated sign in, you will be able to see the pre-assigned breakout rooms available. If a student joins after you open the Breakout Room, you can choose recover to pre-assigned rooms to add students to the rooms you assigned.