- Approximately 40gb of free space is required on your boot drive
- Your computer should have at least 4gb of RAM
- Prevent your computer from entering Sleep Mode during the install
You will need approximately 40gb of free space to be able to use this preconfigured Business image with UTM.
If you would need to install this Virtual Machine somewhere other than your boot volume, this can be done, but you will need to install UTM yourself and then open the image from a flash drive. If you need help with this contact the ITS Service Desk.
I recommend preventing your computer from entering Sleep Mode to make sure this installation process finishes smoothly. It would also be a good idea to make sure your computer either has more than half of its battery capacity remaining, or to plug into a power source.
- Go to https://mac.getutm.app/ and click on
- Run the .dmg file. It should be located in your Downloads folder.
- Run through the install prompts to finish installation
Downloading the Virtual Machine Image
Intel or ARM Processor?
We need to determine what kind of processor you have, so we can download the correct image.
Go to the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen, and click on "About This Mac"
If you see Apple M1 or Apple M2, then download this file.
If you see anything with "Intel", download this file.
I'd recommend downloading the image while on fast internet.
Using the Virtual Machine
Create a folder on your Desktop called "Virtual Machines".
Move the BUAD_FA23.utm file in your Downloads folder to the "Virtual Machines" folder you just created.
Double click on the BUAD_FA23.utm file to open up the VM in UTM.
To login click the UTM window once, then enter the account's password.