Our classrooms and meeting rooms have Apple TV devices, which allow you to mirror the screen from your laptop or mobile device to the screen in front of the room. The method used depends on what type of device you have.
The first step is to make sure the Apple TV device in the room is powered on and ready to go. This is done by following the prompts on the wall unit.
To mirror the screen from your MacBook, iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, use AirPlay by following the steps in the following article from Apple:
- Connect your laptop to the appropriate Apple TV WiFi network. In the list of available WiFi networks, find the one that matches the building you're in (i.e. the network in Cofrin Hall is called "COFAppleTV"). You will need to contact the ITS Service Desk to get the password for this network.
- How to AirPlay video and mirror your device's screen
To mirror your screen from a Windows laptop, you'll need to download and install AirParrot ahead of time. While AirParrot provides a free trial version, we recommend that you purchase an individual license for the software (we do not have a site license). After AirParrot is installed, follow these steps:
- Connect your laptop to the appropriate Apple TV WiFi network.
In the list of available WiFi networks, find the one that matches the building you're in (i.e. the network in Cofrin Hall is called "COFAppleTV"). You will need to contact the ITS Service Desk to get the password for this network.
- Launch AirParrot and select the AirParrot icon in the system tray near the clock.
- Select the correct Apple TV from the list and connect.
Note that since AirParrot is not developed by Apple, we occasionally see issues where a specific version of AirParrot may not work with a specific update of an Apple TV device. If you experience this, just let us know so that we can look into it.
All rooms with an Apple TV device also have an HDMI jack on the wall so that you can connect via an HDMI cable. If your device does not have an HDMI port, we recommend that you purchase an adapter to carry with you so that you always have this capability. This will also be helpful when using your device in similar facilities off campus. We're happy to help identify the appropriate adapter for you; just stop in at the Service Desk.
Using an HDMI cable is also the best option for guests who are visiting campus and using our facilities.
An Apple TV is located at the ITS Service Desk in Cofrin Hall. If needed, stop in to test your device; we can assist with any questions.